Sunday, March 24, 2013

Where are the Soybean Crayons Now?

Quite a few years ago, Prang introduced the ProSoy Crayon to art teachers. A new idea, more natural and ALL that. I got some samples at the annual art conference vendor area and tried them out. LOVED them! They were soft, but loaded with pigment. The colors blended  together beautifully. Beautiful to use. Even though they cost more, these crayons were worth it to me.
So I have used the Prang crayons for over 15 years now. When the ProSoy Crayon went out of production, I was miserable! What will I buy to use in my art classes now? Those were the best crayons...
I bought up all of the ProSoy crayons I could find in a local art supply company warehouse and also on ebay. I was soon forced to use the Prang regular line of crayons. They are good, and they tell me that they have the soybean oil in them. I don't really know if that is true, but they work OK.
You are probably wondering, why not Crayola crayons? The staple from my youth and early teaching days.
I don't like them. I hate the way the wax flakes off when you color. There a little pieces of wax in the crayon container, on the table, flaked all over art projects. The colors probably blend, but then there are so many you could probably find the color you want if you look in the box. This is my little bothersome problem. I hate when that stuff happens.
I like the softer crayon and the way they blend. I like the clean crayon box, no wax flakes.I like that there are so much pigment in the crayons.  I like the short little pieces because they break easily. Better to use those pieces for rubbing and for the pinch grasp in fine motor development. I don't have to break the crayons in half when they are new!
I will continue to buy the Prang crayons for the years I have left teaching. I will always reccommend them to others. When you find something you like, you use it as long as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment